City of Pori
"Deus protector noster." (English: "God is our protector.")
|Charter||March 8, 1558|
|• City Manager||Lauri Inna|
|• City||2,062.00 km2 (796.14 sq mi)|
|• Land||834.06 km2 (322.03 sq mi)|
|• Water||870.01 km2 (335.91 sq mi)|
|• Urban||121.37 km2 (46.86 sq mi)|
|• Rank||64th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||10th largest in Finland|
|• Density||100.1/km2 (259/sq mi)|
|• Urban density||693.6/km2 (1,796/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14%|
|• 15 to 64||59.7%|
|• 65 or older||26.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||21%|
Pori (Finnish: [ˈpori]; Swedish: Björneborg [bjœːrneˈborj] (listen); Latin: Arctopolis) is a city and municipality on the west coast of Finland. The city is located some 10 kilometres (6 mi) from the Gulf of Bothnia, on the estuary of the Kokemäki River, 110 kilometres (68 mi) west of Tampere, 140 kilometres (87 mi) north of Turku and 241 kilometres (150 mi) north-west of Helsinki, the capital of Finland. Pori was established in 1558 by Duke John, who later became King John III of Sweden.
The city has a population of 83,491 (31 December 2021) and covers an area of 2,062.00 square kilometres (796.14 sq mi) of which 870.01 km2 (335.91 sq mi) is water. The population density is 100.1/km2 (259/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish. It is the 10th largest city in Finland, and the 7th largest urban area. Pori is also the capital of the Satakunta region (pop. 224,028) and the Pori sub-region (pop. 136,905). Pori was also once one of the main cities with Turku in the former Turku and Pori Province (1634–1997). The neighboring municipalities are Eurajoki, Kankaanpää, Kokemäki, Merikarvia, Nakkila, Pomarkku, Sastamala, Siikainen and Ulvila.
Pori is especially known nationwide for its Jazz Festival, Yyteri's sandy beaches, Kirjurinluoto, Porin Ässät ice hockey club, FC Jazz football club, which won two championships in the Veikkausliiga in the 1990s, and Pori Theater, which is the first Finnish-language theater in Finnish history. Pori is also known for its local street food called porilainen. During its history, the city of Pori has burned down nine times; only Oulu has burned more often, as many as ten times. The current coat of arms of Pori was confirmed for use by President P. E. Svinhufvud on December 11, 1931, and was later redrawn by Olof Eriksson. The city council reaffirmed the use of the redrawn version on October 27, 1959. The bear motif of the coat of arms comes from a 17th century seal and the motto, deus protector noster or "God is our protector", is also on the coat of arms of the city's founder, Duke John.
ruuthwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).